Sunday, February 22, 2009

Movies in 3D: Peeking Into the Future Through Glasses From the Past

Looking through Willie Wonka, the 21st century version, goggle-type sunglasses in the vast sea of families seated beside me, with creatures from under the sea mercilessly coming towards me while listening to Jim Carrey's narrated voice made for some interesting entertainment this morning.
Today, I ventured out to meet my sister and 3 and a half year old nephew to the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. We were experiencing a new underwater film in 3D at the local IMAX theatre. "Under The Sea 3D" transports moviegoers to some of the most exotic and isolated undersea locations on Earth, including Southern Australia, New Guinea and others in the Indo-Pacific region, allowing them to experience face-to-face encounters with some of the most mysterious and stunning creatures of the sea.



As I was watching and enjoying this 45 minute film which depicts some of the rarest and beautiful creatures below the ocean, I came to a thought: Are Hollywood films in 3D becoming a mainstay? Will we see Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Mickey Rourke,Will Smith and others up close and personal, face-to-face? I hope not. The reason I feel this way is because, while the horror film "My Bloody Valentine" in 3D was interesting to watch and gruesome as the blood spatter flew towards me onto my lenses, I was sometimes too occupied trying to keep the gigantic 3D glasses on over my own regular spectacles that I missed parts of what was going on. I'm used to be called four-eyes but six-eyes is ridiculous.
Everywhere now I see movies, mostly children's, advertising 3D. Like "Journey to the Center of the Earth" with Brendan Fraser where if you do not have 3D glasses all you are able to see is double vision.

While i do see the enjoyment of 3D, with the screen popping out in front of our faces and nearly giving us heart attacks when something or someone unexpectedly comes roaring toward us, but maybe I am old-fashioned and do not understand the 3D spectacle beyond the IMAX and retro theaters. Bringing us back to a time when it was new.
The 3D technology and sunglasses are much improved since the first feature film in 3D, "Bwana Devil," in 1952. Their advertisement for this new craze promised, "A lion in your lap! A lover in your arms! Newer than television!" It was definitely newer and the industry began to cash in right away with films like "It Came from Outer Space," written by Ray Bradbury and "House of Wax," staring Vincent Price. With the 3D bonanza coming in and out of popularity for three decades, having it's final Howrah in the 1980's, 3D was the thing of the past.



Yet, as we all now know, things from the past always seem to find its way out of the woodwork and become fashionable and new once again. but i am still unconvinced about this possible born-again 3D excitement. I enjoy the 2D experience and knowing that i can come to a theatre or pop in a dvd at home and not have to worry whether I can see straight or not. Therefore, If Hollywood hopes to profit from 3D, it better learn the lessons from its history, especially the lesson that it can't make a crappy movie any better.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:38 PM

    I feel that every movie should be offered in 3D. I will finally be able to become up close and personal with Mr. Clooney...which is what I've always wanted. Don't lie to yourself, you know you want that too=)

    ReplyDelete